Guidelines for PDAs
Payment of Family Pension
- The Pension Payment Orders are issued in the following series:
Family pension is normally granted after the death of the Government servant/pensioner. The system of notification of family pension alongwith initial award of Service/Disability/Retiring pension (Joint notification) commenced w.e.f 1.12.1970 in case of Defence Civilians, from 14.3.1977 in case of Commissioned Officers and from 1.3.1985 in case of JCOs and ORs. Presently, in all cases, family pension is jointly notified alongwith initial awards of Service/Disability/Retiring pension. The Pension Payment Orders issued by the Pension Sanctioning Authority in respect of Service/Disability/Retirement pension indicate the entitlement in respect of family pension to the widow/husband. Consequent on the death of the pensioner, Family pension is granted at the enhanced rate for 7 years with effect from the date following the date of death of the original recipient or 65/67 years (w.e.f 13.5.98) of age of the Government servant, whichever is earlier and thereafter at the Ordinary rate.
The P.D.A. is authorised to commence payment of family pension on receipt of death certificate of the pensioner and the application for grant of family pension to her/him in the prescribed. It should be ensured by the P.D.A. that payment of family pension is invariably reduced to ordinary rates from the specified date, as indicated in the P.P.O.
Family pension is payable only if it is authorised in the PPO of the deceased pensioner specifically.
It should be ensured that:
The P.D.A. should invariably identify the spouse entitled to family pension before the same is paid.
- the applicant is the real widow/husband.
- the death certificate is of the deceased pensioner.
- two specimen signatures of the applicant exist duly attested.
- two copies of passport size photograph of the applicant are attached duly attested. This photograph should be tallied with the joint photograph already in possession of the PDA.
- Descriptive roll/joint photograph/mark of identification/height of the applicant duly attested.