Ordinary Family Pension
Ordinary family pension is payable to the widow and children of the officer who died/die while in service or after retirement with a retiring/disability/invalid/ special pension on account of causes which are neither attributable to nor aggravated by service.
Elegible Members of Family for Ordinary Family Pension
- Wife lawfully married before or after retirement
- A judicially separated wife
- Son below the age of 25 years and unmarried daughter (including those illegitimate and adopted legally before or after retirement) or till the date of earning livelihood whichever is earlier.
- Widowed/ divorced daughter upto the date of re-marriage and until the earning is not more than Rs. 3500/- + DR p.m. whichever is earlier.
- Parents wholly dependant when officer has not left behind a widow/ widower, eligible son or daughter or a widowed/ divorced daughter and the earning of the parent is not more than Rs. 3500/- + DR p.m. The beneficiary is required to furnish income certificate by themselves. The family pension to parents will be admissible with effect from 1.1.1998 but will cover cases where death occurred even prior to 1.1.1998)
In case of parents, the mother will receive the pension first. In addition to above, the following members are also eligible for ordinary family pension:-
- Handicapped children- son or daughter suffering from any disorder of disability of mind or physically crippled or disabled so as to render him unable to earn a living even after attaining the age of 25 years.
- Post retiral spouses-
- Children born out of void or voidable marriage
- Children born from divorced wife where conception took place before divorce.
For the purpose of grant of family pension, the Family has been categorized as under vide GOI, MOD letter No. 17(4)/2008(2)/D(Pen/Pol) dt 12-11-2008.
- Widow or widower, up to the date of death or re-marriage whichever is earlier;
- Son / daughter (including widowed daughter), up to the date of his / her marriage / re-marriage or till the date she starts earining or up to the date of death, whichever is earlier.
- Unmarried / widowed / Divorced daughter not covered by Category I above up to the date of marriage / re-marriage or till the date she starts earining or up to the death of death, whichever is earlier.
- Parents who were wholly dependent on the Armed Forces personnel when he / she was alive provided the deceased personnel had left behing neither a widow nor a child.
Family Pension to dependent parents, unmarried / divorced / widowed daughter will continue till the date of death.
Ordinary Family Pension in case of Missing Personnel Pensioners
Ordinary family pension in such cases is admissible to the eligible member of the family from the date of lodging FIR six months after the date of lodging FIR or expiry of leave of the officer who has disappeared, whichever is later.
Rates of Ordinary Family Pension
The ordinary family pension at normal rate shall be calculated @ 30% of reckonable emoluments last drawn subject to a minimum of Rs. 3500/- p.m. and a maximum of 30% of the highest pay.
Where on officer dies while in service or after retirement with pension having rendered not less than 7 years continuous qualifying service, the enhanced rate is payable as under.
The enhanced rate of ordinary family pension is payble for a period of ten years, without any upper age limit from the date following the death of the personnel, to the family of personnel who dies in service.
- 50% of the reckonable emoluments
- amount of retiring/ invalid/ service element of disability pension
For this purpose, reckonable emoluments comprises of pay in pay band including grade pay, Military service pay and NPA, if any, last drawn.